What It’s Like to Have a Birthday on Valentine’s Day

11 Feb

I was born on Valentine’s Day, and for the first years of my life that equated to paper Valentines plus birthday cards, and chocolate kisses plus birthday cake that my mom always made in a heart shape. SCAN0022_2

Over the years, I’ve learned that people love the idea of a Valentine’s Day birthday. Bouncers at bars, coworkers, and customer service reps verifying my identity all tend to get quite excited when they read or hear me say “February 14.”  Though I’ve only ever known a Valentine’s Day birthday, I have to say that I’ve always loved it too, even after the heart-shaped birthday cakes stopped. Valentine’s Day is a small enough holiday that I’ve never felt like it overshadowed my birthday, but it’s also a bit of a controversial holiday.

The most notable thing about a February 14th birthday is that people tend to remember it. I’ve had friends of friends randomly remember my birthday, and what more do you want on your birthday than well wishes from friends? I feel really lucky in that department. I’ve also never had a chance to hate Valentine’s Day, and I spent plenty of Valentine’s Days without a valentine. No matter my single status, I always had plans on V-Day, and I like to think that those birthday plans were a fun distraction for some fellow single gal pals too.

On the downside of Valentine’s Day birthdays is getting a dinner reservation. This one really sucks. You have to plan weeks if not a month in advance to get a reservation and sometimes restaurants only offer special menus. This keeps Valentine’s Day birthday plans from being too spontaneous. Sometimes we go out and sometimes we stay in, but we usually decide a few weeks in advance.

Finding a valentine who isn’t scared off by the B-day-V-day duo is also a bit daunting. Fortunately, I found one who loved the idea of Valentine’s Day birthday plans, but I feel for those who, like me, start dating someone in January only to tell them that it’s both your birthday and Valentine’s Day less than a month later.

Between the birthday wishes, not worrying about Valentine’s Day plans, and all the chocolate, I have to say, I totally recommend February 14th birthdays.

Would you want your birthday on Valentine’s Day? What’s the best part about where your birthday falls?

About these ads

25 Responses to “What It’s Like to Have a Birthday on Valentine’s Day”

1. Jordan February 11, 2013 at 9:43 am #

I love the birthday pic. You’re rocking that hair, and Brooke’s just making sure you’ve got those candles under control – which, obviously, you do.

• Kate February 11, 2013 at 10:57 am #

That’s what older sisters are for — guiding you through life’s big events, like blowing out six candles with one breath :) Also, notice chubby baby Jake in my aunt’s arms.

2. Jimeread February 11, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

I think a celerbration at the Ramp would cover all bases

• Kate February 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm #

I think that sounds like a fine idea! Let’s make it a date.

3. the usual bliss February 11, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

My husband’s birthday is Christmas Day and mine is the day after New Year’s… both are not ideal. I think Valentine’s Day is an awesome day for a birthday though. It’s all about love, and who doesn’t want that on their birthday?!

• Kate February 11, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

How ironic! Did you guys bond over sharing the spotlight of a major holiday on your birthdays? It’s funny how something totally out of your control can shape a life experience, like a birthday. I imagine that as parents you have to get creative with ideas for making the birthday girl and boy feel extra special even if its a special day for everyone. That’s a tough job!

• the usual bliss February 12, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

And as a new wife… the birthday/Christmas combo is now my “make it amazing” project!

4. Jorie February 11, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

I love that your birthday is on Valentine’s Day! Like you said, it’s memorable and it always gave us something to do in college. Happy early birthday, Valentine’s Day baby!

• Kate February 11, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Thanks, Jor! I wouldn’t be mad about celebrating another birthday with those double chocolate chip cookies from the dining hall. It may have blizzard-ed, but you gals showed me a great birthday! Thoughts on organizing a virtual tea leaf reading?

5. Nicole August 14, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

My birthdays on valentines day too :)

6. martyb2011 October 4, 2013 at 6:28 am #

I am on my 2nd miracle pregnancy. A girl to be born on 2-14-14. I already have a son who’s about to be 4 on New Years Eve. I feel extra blessed to have them be born on holidays. I hope as they grow up they will feel extra special.:)

7. Kayla Jonees January 19, 2014 at 11:43 am #

My birthday is Valentine’s Day as well, and I’ve always felt the same way. Like everyone I know hates Valentines Day because they’re “so alone and it’s pointless to see all of the happy couples”, but I absolutely love it. I know that no matter what I have something to do on one of the “loneliest days of the year”!

• Kate @ The Kate Keeper January 20, 2014 at 9:09 am #

I like it too, Kayla. It’s a fun birthday.

• Shamima Ahmed January 31, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

Hey my friend Sheza has her birth on Febuary 14th too
        PS: let god bless you

8. Timi January 23, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

i love being born on Valentines Day everyone i know never forgets my birthday. Its not that big of a holiday so it doesn’t overshadow my birthday.<3

9. Broc Stewart January 28, 2014 at 4:42 am #

Mine is on feb 14th and getting dinner reservations is a pain in the butt. And also getting your friends to bring there date out ditch there date is kinda tough. I usually celebrate with my friend the day before my bday and family on my birthday

• Kate @ The Kate Keeper February 12, 2014 at 10:24 am #

I hear you, Broc. It feels weird to host a birthday party on February 14 because I feel like I’m asking my friends to not celebrate Valentine’s Day. So I usually have two celebrations too. Lucky us!

10. Dar February 12, 2014 at 4:09 am #

I was born on the 14th as well, just another day!

11. Emma February 13, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

We share a birthday! I’ve never had a problem with it. I find it’s best to have a birthday on the day where everyone around you is carrying chocolate. XD

12. Shomil Saini February 14, 2014 at 9:22 am #

Hello All,
    My birthday is also on Valentine’s day, just celebrated the same.
    came to this while browsing on net about the valentine’s day birthdays.

Happy Birthday Kate… :)

Cheers & enjoy the day !

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Happy Valentine’s Day | Her Pursuit of Sunshine - February 14, 2014

[…] Valentine’s Day! I’ll be celebrating the Kate Keeper’s birthday all weekend […]

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 66 other followers