Seattle in the Fall

13 Nov

Seattle skyline

We spent last weekend in gorgeous, fall-ridden Seattle. Have you been? Seattle is the only place in the Pacific Northwest that I’ve ever been–once for a series of sunny, 75-degree days a few summers ago–and again last weekend for a concert, some hat-and-gloves weather, and the changing leaves. This second visit only confirmed that there is much to be explored in the Northwest: American and Canadian metropolises, miles and miles of coastline, a pair of impressive mountain ranges, and enough tantalizing and eclectic eateries and drinking holes to keep one person full and giddy straight through all four seasons and beyond. Seattle space needle

Jordan and I booked the two-night trip in pursuit of hearing Nada Surf–a band my sister’s fiance loves and follows and one whose record label is based in Seattle–live in concert. So the four of us spent last Thursday night jamming and sipping drinks at The Showbox across from Pike Place Market. Nada Surf played their Let Go album from start to finish and then threw in a few additional crowd pleasers too. This was the reason for our trip and it lived up to expectations.

The Showbox, SeattleNada Surf, SeattleNada Surf

Our fall tour of Seattle only got better from there. Tied with the concert for me was our trip to the Experience Music Project, or EMP. To call this pop culture museum well done is to call baby giraffes learning to walk cute. It was one of the most entertaining museums I had ever been to. We walked through a crescendoing timeline of Nirvana fame, complete with handwritten notes and remnants of smashed guitars. We saw and listened to a 300 year history of the changing shape and sound of the guitar downstairs, and then headed upstairs to the sound lab to try our, er, talents on the drums, mic, guitar, and mix machine. Before we knew it, two and half hours had gone by. I could have stayed longer, but our tummies were rumbling. The EMP is a must-do in Seattle.

Experience music project EMP Seattle

Experience Music Project, Seattle.

For eating and drinking, I’m not sure it gets better than Seattle. Every meal we had was inventive, tasty, and affordable (YES). From biscuits and gravy (mushroom gravy for the veggie heads) to the second best clam chowder in the state, we basically stuffed ourselves for 3 days straight. The culinary highlight, however, were the peanut butter bonbons. You heard correctly. Peanut butter. Dipped in bread crumbs. Fried. And served over homemade jam and with a side of milk. Don’t mind if I do.

peanut butter bonbons

Then on Saturday, before our flight out that evening, we took the ferry across Puget Sound to Bainbridge Island for scenic photo ops and a pumpkin cider on the other side. And speaking of, I was happy to find that Seattle was just as excited about fall cocktails as I was.

Ferry to Bainbridge Island, WA

Seattle from the ferryBainbridge Island, WA

Bainbridge Island, WA

And with that our 48-hour trip was complete and all we kept saying was how much fun we had and how glad we were that we came. We wanted to stay, to drive up to Vancouver, or down to Portland. I’m just getting started with you, Northwest.

fall in seattle

Have you been to Seattle? The Pacific Northwest?

About these ads

7 Responses to “Seattle in the Fall”

1. di @ life of di. November 13, 2013 at 6:21 am #

I think I have mentioned it in my comments before but I absolutely love the Pacific Northwest. I really wish I could live somewhere out there but, again, it’s just not in the cards right now. Marty and I discussed it and we hope to move there one day but we aren’t sure when exactly it will fit. :) We do, however, hope to head back out there for vacation as soon as we can. Seattle was so much fun to explore and we definitely have much more to see there.

• Kate @ The Kate Keeper November 14, 2013 at 9:50 am #

Di, I can relate to your sentiment. The way you feel about the west coast is the way I feel about NYC. We were making plans to move to New York when suddenly everything fell into place to move to San Francisco, and while SF is gorgeous and fun and close to our families, when I read a blog post from a New Yorker or see pictures of the NYC skyline in my friends’ Instagram photos, I get a pang in my heart for that city. I’m not sure we’ll ever live there since we’ve settled so nicely into San Francisco, but we keep reminding ourselves to never say never.

2. Shanna deDiego November 13, 2013 at 8:19 am #

Hi Kate! Your post made me want to pack a bag and head to the airport! We are headed there in the summer and will be adding the peanut butter bon bons on the list right under Voodoo doughnuts in Portland. Yum….

• Kate @ The Kate Keeper November 14, 2013 at 9:52 am #

Hi Aunt Shanna! You can find the peanut butter bonbons at Local 360 on 1st Street in Belltown, and you really MUST try them. Have fun!

3. Jorie November 13, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Looks amazing! Peanut butter bon bons, YUMMY! Love the ferry shot. It looked like you guys were in the military and about to take off in a helicopter or something :) I’ve always wanted to go to Seattle. It’s high on my list. My grandparents used to live in coastal Oregon and I miss visiting them out there. The Pac Northwest is just so gorgeous! I haven’t been to Washington state since I was in elementary school, though! Time to remedy that soon.

• Kate @ The Kate Keeper November 14, 2013 at 10:06 am #

We walked down to where the cars drive onto the ferry and it was so cool! I’m not sure I realized how big of a boat it was until we walked down there. Anyway, you will love Seattle. It’s quaint like Boston, but with a totally different, west coast, edgy feel. Now I want to go to Portland next. And Vancouver!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A Fresh Start | The Kate Keeper - January 2, 2014

[…] Things finally slowed down a bit in the early fall. I stayed in San Francisco, got a promotion (woo!), and worked my tail off. In November I broke for our trip to gorgeous fall-ridden Seattle. […]

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 59 other followers