We Almost Moved to New York

3 Jun

2013-04-29 03.49.05

I’m not sure if I’ve ever mentioned here that before we moved to San Francisco a little less than two years ago, we were planning to move to New York. For various reasons we ended up in San Francisco, and I’m really glad we did. But New York is never far from my mind.

I have mentioned that my sister lived there for almost eight years, and that my college career in Boston overlapped with her first years in New York, so back then, depending on my school schedule, I visited about once every month or two for a weekend. I’d do my homework on the bus from Boston to New York, and by the time I arrived, Brooke had weekend plans for us.

Brooke and Kate in NYC

Brooke and me up to no good circa 2009.

New York is where I gulped my first sake bomb and learned that snowy Sundays in February are for ordering in and watching movies in bed. I made my first Apple purchase at its 24-hour store on 5th Avenue after midnight one night. On a different night I helped Brooke clear the furniture out of her bedroom so we could host a holiday party in it. Her bedroom was bigger than her living room. How New York, right?

So in some ways New York felt more like home than Boston, where for two years my kitchen was the dining hall. In New York I got a taste of young adult life, and heading back downtown to Port Authority Bus Terminal on Sunday evenings or Monday mornings to catch my ride to Boston, I always wanted more.

Because New York wasn’t mine. My friends weren’t there. My clothes lived in a bag there, and I definitely wasn’t paying New York City rent. But I always figured one day New York would be my own. One day I wouldn’t be my sister’s guest, and I’d take the wallet-size subway map she let me use and pass it along to my own guests.

Jordan and I tried to make all that happen, but San Francisco insisted on us.

Last summer, when we’d been in San Francisco for less than a year, I wasn’t over our extinguished New York plan. Some days I’m still not, but last summer I was hyper-focused on New York life. I got in the habit of reading the New York Time’s New York Today series that sums up the weather, the train lines that are down, which art exhibits are starting and closing, and other New York City history and cultural tidbits. It was like if I just knew what was going on I could somehow insert myself into the action.

riverside park relaxing

Watching the sun go down at Riverside Park.

A lot of things still make me daydream of life in New York.

Like when we had a bit of heatwave in San Francisco a few weeks ago. Warm nights are such a rarity here, and walking through the city at night in a t-shirt reminded me of summer nights in New York.

Or a few weeks before that when a friend and former New Yorker had a birthday party at a brewery in the Mission that despite its sprawling size felt like it could have been in New York.

And that two of my dearest friends — my college roommates — just moved in together in Brooklyn. A friend and I sent them an “East Coast girls are hip” print that made me want to be one so badly.

Or even just the song that came on the radio last week that I hadn’t heard in years and reminded me of a particular weekend in New York with my sister, hanging out at dive bars too late.

So many things make me think of the city that never was for me, and yet, I really do love San Francisco.

I wrote about my experience of falling in love slowly with San Francisco for Miss Melange today. Some part of me will probably always daydream about the life that could have been in New York, but part of being an adult is making tough decisions. Moving to San Francisco was one of the first big concessions I had to make in my life, which I realize shows just how ridiculously fortunate I’ve been.

And, turns out, San Francisco is a great place to live.

Read my post on the things that made me love San Francisco and happy to make it my own, after the disappointment of a New York City plan gone dead, and thank you to Emily and Stephanie at Miss Melange for having me!

About these ads

12 Responses to “We Almost Moved to New York”

1. Taylor June 3, 2014 at 10:42 am #

Well said, Kooper. NYC has been on my mind a lot lately, also (Did Brooke really have to move back??)! I have so many great memories in that city like sneaking in Dive 75 with B’s ID as a youngin’ to then years later giving her my ID to use at the Talking Heads concert in Brooklyn when she forgot hers. Miss that city, but glad you (and Brookie) are in CA!

2. cravesadventure June 3, 2014 at 10:51 am #

The place I currently live took me about 9 years to slowly let it grow on me and then Wham! I am in that part of my life where I am looking to move on again. I love living Out West as well as the Pacific Northwest and not sure where the next adventure will take me, but I am open to it, so bring it on! Love your post – thanks so much for sharing – funny what the heart wants or at least wants to hold on to, which is a good thing :)

• Kate @ The Kate Keeper June 6, 2014 at 10:17 am #

Yes, certain places just grab you, and that’s what New York did to me. I love your words on what the heart holds on to. What a nice way of thinking about it, because when I pine of New York it really is my heart that hurts for it. Thanks for your comment, Renee!

3. Stephanie @ Miss Mélange June 3, 2014 at 11:09 am #

Love this post for a little more background on your relationship with NYC. Hopefully it can be a regular vacation destination for you so you can get your fix. :) Loved having you on MM!

xo Stephanie
    msmelange.com

• Kate @ The Kate Keeper June 6, 2014 at 10:18 am #

Thanks for reading, Steph! New York was my first love, and fortunately, two of my dearest friends live there and my aunt and uncle are just outside the city, so I do visit often. Have you ever been?

4. Jorie June 3, 2014 at 11:18 am #

I had no idea you and Jordy were seriously considering a move back east before you set your sights upon SF! I think you made the right choice, if only because I want plenty of excuses to visit you two in SF in the years to come (or maybe I’ll be able to just walk down the street and say hello, if you catch my drift ;)). Also, if you, Meg, and Bec all lived in NYC together, I think I’d be dyed perma-green with jealousy!

• Kate @ The Kate Keeper June 6, 2014 at 10:20 am #

If I moved to New York, you’d have to come. There’s no other choice. Well, maybe one other choice…

5. Brooke June 3, 2014 at 11:58 am #

Oh the fun we had in NY! And the fun we continue to have in SF. I was walking into the voter polling center this morning with my mind wandering about the last time I voted — in NYC, line around the block, local schools having bake sales in front of the building, and the volunteers working the place were so organized (the only way it would ever work in NYC). This morning I walked into my new voting place thinking, no line! This is going to be a piece of cake! Take that NYers! And it was true, there was no line. In fact, Jerry and I were the only two voters there. But also… it took the guy 10 minutes to find my name on the sheet. He couldn’t find Jerry at all. They were not very organized or efficient. I need to stop comparing these two cities because they are just too different each with their pros and cons! Great post. I <3 NYC forever even if I don't want to live there anymore! xo

• Kate @ The Kate Keeper June 6, 2014 at 10:20 am #

Hahaha, it was your time to leave. And what a run it was! I’m so glad you’re here.

6. Sarah @ Her Pursuit of Sunshine June 3, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

Great post, Kate! While I have no desire to move to NYC, I totally understand the pull it has on people. I’m glad you settled in SF while I’m here :)

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 63 other followers